Skip to main content

It's Only a Matter of Time...

Ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool. ~Charles Simmons

Over the years, I've endured the insensitive and ignorant jabs and jokes about Catholicism at work. Based on comments made at every opportunity, you'd think each and every Catholic priest is a pedophile and the Church corrupt to its core. I used to get offended and defensive, but now I surprise myself with the range of emotions I feel when the religious bashing occurs. Depending on the comment, these emotions range from surprise, amusement, and indifference.

It is surprising how nescient people are of the Christian faith.  They only look at the surface of truth and do not explore the basis of how it is arrived at.  Catholic principles are based on a long tradition which continues to grow and evolve because our faith is alive...not stagnant. This is not to say that things change as society deems fit, but that the same truth, never conflicting with itself, is more fully understood, explained, and practiced. 

For example, in response to a Christian truth,  I often hear, "Show me where that appears in the Bible?"  In the Protestant viewpoint, this may be a valid question, but in the Catholic perspective...it is not. Any seriously practicing Catholic knows that our faith has always held both scripture and oral traditional as equally valid and revered.  It really makes sense...in reading the New Testament, you can easily see that the epistles are responses to crises in the Church that have sprung up after the apostles and their successors have moved on to other areas to spread the Gospel. These spiritual leaders remained in communities for years to teach the faith, and it would have been impractical to have written each and every tenant of the faith down on paper.  Oral Tradition has a long-standing, recognized authority in the Church. At any rate, the answer to this question is another question: "Where in the Bible does it say that scripture ALONE is the only authority?"  Often the response is Timothy 3:16-17, but those verses say that ALL scripture is useful ... But ALL does not mean ONLY.

It is ever appropriate to laugh at ignorant religious comments?  Sometimes it can encourage more of the same because laughter can signify agreement and validity to statements uttered by another. However, in my case, I am often amused at the ridiculous ramblings of those who just want to offend or shock because they have a negative predisposition towards Christianity, Catholicism in particular.  I've learned that this type of person is not interested in honest debate, but takes every opportunity that arises to made a snide comment about religion or faith. Laughing it off, refusing to respond to the bate is the best course of action with this type of person. Believe me, they know I'm not laughing with them.

I have seen so many people make fools of themselves to impress others.  Ex-lovers who try to make the person who dumped them jealous. It never works, the person dumped them for a reason. They are not going to get jealous over obvious, over-the-top efforts to make them so.  The dumpee just looks pathetic as they try to overcome the indifference of the one they are trying to impress.  Indifference is a powerful tool. It says, "You or what you are saying is so unimportant, I don't even pay attention."  This is the tactic I use with the obstinate who are only looking for a fight. Why bother engaging in a debate that quickly leads to arguments or more opportunity for offense?  A person like this will go out of their way to offend when you challenge something they say or do.  In this case, I do what I have been taught, outwardly ignore them and inwardly pray for their conversion and God's forgiveness of their offense.

I know it's difficult to keep one's feelings in check when confronted with insensitive remarks and attacks, but God gives us the strength to persevere through love, knowledge, and prayer.  In reality, it's not important what the ungodly think of us. What is important is that we stand firm in faith and pray for the conversion and forgiveness of our enemies.  Even adversity such as this is a blessing because it affords us the opportunity to grow in spiritual strength. It sparks renewal of purpose.  Only through challenges can we remain strong and not fall into complacency.  Enemies of God may seem to have the upper hand at times, but in reality, they are reduced only to tools God uses to keep us close to Him.  God has already won; it's only a matter of time before everybody knows it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love your Logic...But it is Flawed

Note: This piece was written months ago - but never published until today.  It previews a few concepts contained in my Pope Francis post, but I wanted to post it as well. Storm: You're so sure of your position But you're just closed-minded I think you'll find Your faith in science and tests Is just as blind As the faith of any fundamentalist. Tim: Hm that's a good point, let me think for a bit Oh wait, my mistake, it's absolute bullshit. Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved." Tim Minchin, "Storm" On the surface, the above seems to hit the nail right on the head, right? Just my gut opinion, buuuut.... It's like comparing apples and oranges...science is based on fact that can be proven, although some scientific theories rely on faith, science is tangible.  Faith is also based on fact; but easily refuted by those who refuse to see the logi

Two Kinds of Happiness

"Happiness is two different things, What you take and then what you bring." ~The Strokes I love the sounds of this band...don't always agree with their lyrics, but these lyrics I do. Humans, always searching for happiness...many searching for and never finding it. They accept short term joy over and over, expecting everlasting bliss, knowing deep down they are only fooling themselves. They lament with each passing dream, "Why me?", wondering how they find themselves in the same unfulfilling predicament again. True happiness is in God alone; I know, it's a cliché, but it is a truth. Only when we let go of our own desires of self love and live our lives in giving, without expecting, will we break free of selfish desires to be loved. Don't get me wrong; everyone wants to be loved.  And it's a beautiful thing when genuine. I'm talking of the selfish motivation to do things for others to get their love. This motivation is solely based on our n

Bernadette's Song-And I'm Listening

Sister Marie Therese: "...You whistle and everybody dances. Except one person, Myself.  For I simply don't believe you." Bernadette Soubirous: "I never wanted you to believe me, Sister." I remember several years ago a conversation with a friend from work in which I stated that I wanted to be a saint.  How silly a statement this was.  I'm sure it was misunderstood and that I was inwardly mocked by my friend.  But, I only meant in my ways...to be a better person.  I was not professing a desire to be a famous saint - but I have to admit I did crave attention to my perceived goodness.  How foolish in my thinking I was then.  I had no idea...none. It occurs to me that I was immature, and still am, in my faith.  I don't pray as often as I should as I fill my time with my job, then television and relaxing.  Prayer in all it's forms, through spiritual readings, meditation on God's wonderful creations, spoken prayer, good works, sacrifice, etc.  Wit