Skip to main content

The Feel Good Gospel

For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables. 2 Tim 4:3-4

Have you ever discussed a subject with someone who refuses to listen? Frustrating, huh?  Especially when dialog does not stay on topic or responses to valid points are unrelated.  But more than frustration, I often feel discouraged because truth is ignored for the sake of convenience, resulting in continued separation from God. People are so often swayed by arguments in favor of things that are against God's commandments because they can then live lives that suit their nature without guilt.

Even more alarming are people of faith who are swayed into worldly thinking.  There is a recent quote attributed to Pope Francis that boils down to salvation is obtainable without God. In discussing this with a fellow Catholic, I just shook my head because she refused to acknowledge that the Pope did not say it and that we should "not judge, lest we be judged" and that everyone is entitled to their opinions.  How sad...so uninformed about her Christian faith and lack of the "Good News."

A Christian's duty is to spread the Gospel and enlighten sinners...in doing so, we help to bring souls to the truth.  What greater gift is that?  Eternal salvation...eternal and unimaginable peace and love in God's presence. That is the goal of every Christian and our duty!  To judge and condemn is a totally different matter and often confused with our duty to witness. Arm yourselves with knowledge and you can easily and confidently defend against this skewed version of thought.  You must go deeper into your faith and realize that we are not to judge.  Remember, when saying the Lord's Prayer, we ask that God judge us with the same measure in which we judge.  Be merciful and mercy will be granted you. 

Sadly, the other side of the coin is that many Christians are driven by pride in their quest to spread the Word. Their need to be right and for others to acknowledge that they are right contaminates the message God asks us to share. Pride - it is the devil's greatest tool.

We must always remember to pray for humility, patience, and guidance from the Holy Spirit in our daily lives, in which we strive to witness to the truth.  We also have a duty to seek out truth through scripture reading and learning about Church teachings, which have been passed down from the beginning of Christ's church on Earth!

And remember, we are human and not perfect.  When we sin and do not live up to our Christian duties, we pull ourselves up again (sacrament of penance) and begin again.  What a merciful and loving God we have!

Keep the faith, but be prepared.  Knowledge is power - even in the spiritual sense. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love your Logic...But it is Flawed

Note: This piece was written months ago - but never published until today.  It previews a few concepts contained in my Pope Francis post, but I wanted to post it as well. Storm: You're so sure of your position But you're just closed-minded I think you'll find Your faith in science and tests Is just as blind As the faith of any fundamentalist. Tim: Hm that's a good point, let me think for a bit Oh wait, my mistake, it's absolute bullshit. Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved." Tim Minchin, "Storm" On the surface, the above seems to hit the nail right on the head, right? Just my gut opinion, buuuut.... It's like comparing apples and oranges...science is based on fact that can be proven, although some scientific theories rely on faith, science is tangible.  Faith is also based on fact; but easily refuted by those who refuse to see the logi

Two Kinds of Happiness

"Happiness is two different things, What you take and then what you bring." ~The Strokes I love the sounds of this band...don't always agree with their lyrics, but these lyrics I do. Humans, always searching for happiness...many searching for and never finding it. They accept short term joy over and over, expecting everlasting bliss, knowing deep down they are only fooling themselves. They lament with each passing dream, "Why me?", wondering how they find themselves in the same unfulfilling predicament again. True happiness is in God alone; I know, it's a cliché, but it is a truth. Only when we let go of our own desires of self love and live our lives in giving, without expecting, will we break free of selfish desires to be loved. Don't get me wrong; everyone wants to be loved.  And it's a beautiful thing when genuine. I'm talking of the selfish motivation to do things for others to get their love. This motivation is solely based on our n

Bernadette's Song-And I'm Listening

Sister Marie Therese: "...You whistle and everybody dances. Except one person, Myself.  For I simply don't believe you." Bernadette Soubirous: "I never wanted you to believe me, Sister." I remember several years ago a conversation with a friend from work in which I stated that I wanted to be a saint.  How silly a statement this was.  I'm sure it was misunderstood and that I was inwardly mocked by my friend.  But, I only meant in my ways...to be a better person.  I was not professing a desire to be a famous saint - but I have to admit I did crave attention to my perceived goodness.  How foolish in my thinking I was then.  I had no idea...none. It occurs to me that I was immature, and still am, in my faith.  I don't pray as often as I should as I fill my time with my job, then television and relaxing.  Prayer in all it's forms, through spiritual readings, meditation on God's wonderful creations, spoken prayer, good works, sacrifice, etc.  Wit