Skip to main content

Bernadette's Song-And I'm Listening

Sister Marie Therese: "...You whistle and everybody dances. Except one person, Myself.  For I simply don't believe you."

Bernadette Soubirous: "I never wanted you to believe me, Sister."

I remember several years ago a conversation with a friend from work in which I stated that I wanted to be a saint.  How silly a statement this was.  I'm sure it was misunderstood and that I was inwardly mocked by my friend.  But, I only meant in my ways...to be a better person.  I was not professing a desire to be a famous saint - but I have to admit I did crave attention to my perceived goodness.  How foolish in my thinking I was then.  I had no idea...none.

It occurs to me that I was immature, and still am, in my faith.  I don't pray as often as I should as I fill my time with my job, then television and relaxing.  Prayer in all it's forms, through spiritual readings, meditation on God's wonderful creations, spoken prayer, good works, sacrifice, etc.  Without prayer, how can one become intimate with God and his heavenly creatures.  Prayer is to God what courting is to lovers...a path to love of another.  There is first an attraction and then the weaving of a relationship.  How else to develop familiarity and fondness for someone unless you communicate and interact with them?

 My sister Barbara just sent me the book, The Song of Bernadette.  It was such a welcomed and appreciated gift because I've always had an attraction to the saints, and St. Bernadette is one of my favorites. This book has been an inspiration and has given me food for thought...

I do not know the feeling of pure abandonment to the world, carefree of others condemnation or praise; but, I understand what St. Bernadette felt.  Even this pitiful knowledge, I have discovered, gives me great peace.  And if the mere knowledge gives me such a gift; how much more, I can't even imagine, the experience for Bernadette!  The gift she was given graced her with insight as to the low worth of the material things the world has to offer - she was subjected to praise, adoration, and gifts and abhorred them all!  Even romantic love, although once attractive to her, had no hold on her.  St. Bernadette's ecstasy during communion with "the lady" were of such pure love, which previewed Heaven, that upon waking from her trances, the world disgusted her in comparison.

The disgust was of sin...people's indifference to the gift that God, in his infinite mercy and with much sacrifice, offers to us pitiful and ungrateful creatures!  Oh, how arrogant and prideful we are!!! And, yet, God continues to reach out to us.

Penitence is the message of the Virgin. With tearful pleading and admonition during her visitations throughout the ages, she begs this of us. How long will God allow her to beg? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love your Logic...But it is Flawed

Note: This piece was written months ago - but never published until today.  It previews a few concepts contained in my Pope Francis post, but I wanted to post it as well. Storm: You're so sure of your position But you're just closed-minded I think you'll find Your faith in science and tests Is just as blind As the faith of any fundamentalist. Tim: Hm that's a good point, let me think for a bit Oh wait, my mistake, it's absolute bullshit. Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved." Tim Minchin, "Storm" On the surface, the above seems to hit the nail right on the head, right? Just my gut opinion, buuuut.... It's like comparing apples and oranges...science is based on fact that can be proven, although some scientific theories rely on faith, science is tangible.  Faith is also based on fact; but easily refuted by those who refuse to see the logi

Two Kinds of Happiness

"Happiness is two different things, What you take and then what you bring." ~The Strokes I love the sounds of this band...don't always agree with their lyrics, but these lyrics I do. Humans, always searching for happiness...many searching for and never finding it. They accept short term joy over and over, expecting everlasting bliss, knowing deep down they are only fooling themselves. They lament with each passing dream, "Why me?", wondering how they find themselves in the same unfulfilling predicament again. True happiness is in God alone; I know, it's a cliché, but it is a truth. Only when we let go of our own desires of self love and live our lives in giving, without expecting, will we break free of selfish desires to be loved. Don't get me wrong; everyone wants to be loved.  And it's a beautiful thing when genuine. I'm talking of the selfish motivation to do things for others to get their love. This motivation is solely based on our n